CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 11, 2006

What's Going On...

As I write this, it's about 2:20 AM, Eastern time. The music [pre-programmed, downloaded for broadcast from a computer hard drive] plays on, requiring little or no thought from yours truly. There are five stations here, all operating more or less on the same principle.

I'm listening to the station I'm "jocking", WJYE. Like many other stations this time of year, we're playing all-Christmas music. It's nice that so many people have the opportunity to enjoy their favorites. Sometimes, I feel like I've heard the same song many, many times, but I can get that feeling during the regular year. Maybe I've done this too long. But it's what I love. I could probably do something else for a living. But I can't think of anything else I'd rather do.

John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" is playing now. I've always liked that one, even with the multiple plays it gets here. It's sad that, more than 35 years on, we're back to wanting, needing a war to be over. David Byrne had it right : Same as it ever was...

If you've got a family member, friend, husband, wife or lover in harm's way, I cry with you sometimes. It doesn't make your pain any better, or give me the right to say, "I know how you feel". But know that many hearts cry with yours, many spirits cry out for peace. THE DAY WILL COME, WITH GOD'S HELP, WHEN WE WILL BE DONE WITH WAR ONCE AND FOR ALL.
-Mike Riley

0 comments: