Ya know, I've got to learn more about contests before trying to run one! First, I have to remember to put the announcement at the beginning of the post, not the end [is it possible that My Fellow Bloggers don't read all of an entry when they reach the site? Or, even worse, is this another of those "We did read it, Mike; we just don't give a rat's ass" moments?]. Anyway, let's try this again, this time with special effects:
[Re-] ANNOUNCING THE FIRST [here anyway] IRON BLOGGER COMPETITION!
The format is deceptively simple: at Midnight [US Eastern Daylight Time], August 15th, a topic will be posted at this site. It may be serious or frivolous [but remember, this is classified as a "humor" blog]. All entrants will have until Midnight [US Eastern Daylight Time] on August 18th to post a 250-word [maximum; no minimum] essay on the Mystery Topic. They should be posted as "Comments" to the topic announcement post. Art or photos may be included, if you feel they will help your cause. And what are we playing for, Johnny Olsen?
ONE THOUSAND ENTRECARD CREDITS!
[I mean, the contest is open to any blogger, but, since the prize is EC credits, non-EC'ers may not be as interested. I can understand that...] The winner will also receive the as-yet-to-be-designed:
IRON BLOGGER CHAMPION BADGE!
Back to you, Mike!
Thanks, Johnny! I am always amazed at how cheaply dead announcers work. Some of you may be wondering why this contest, now [I know I am]. Well, it's Summer [in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway], it's hot, and I'M BORED! When you're bored, weird ideas run in and out of your head, and, well, this one made as much sense as any other one. By the way, you're not obliged to blog about this contest, link back to this post, or subscribe to this blog to win. But, if you can at least tell your friends about it, I'd appreciate it. Now, the fine print:
1. / THE "IRON BLOGGER COMPETITION" WILL TAKE PLACE THE WEEKEND OF AUGUST 15TH, 2008. THE COMPETITION TOPIC WILL BE POSTED ON AUGUST 15TH, AT 12 MIDNIGHT [US EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME]. ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED IMMEDIATELY FROM THE POSTING TIME, UNTIL MIDNIGHT [US EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME] AUGUST 18TH. ALL ENTRIES RECEIVED AFTER THAT TIME ARE DISQUALIFIED.
2. / ENTRIES SHOULD BE SUBMITTED AS "COMMENTS" TO THE TOPIC ANNOUNCEMENT POST.
3. / ENTRIES MAY CONTAIN NO MORE THAN 250 WORDS; ENTRIES LONGER THAN 250 WORDS ARE DISQUALIFIED. ARTWORK AND PHOTOS MAY BE SUBMITTED AS PART OF THE ENTRY, BUT DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE WORD TOTAL.
4. / EACH ENTRY SHOULD INCLUDE, EITHER AT THE BEGINNING OR END, AN E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR USE OF CONTACTING THE WINNER. IF AN ENTRANT WISHES, S/HE MAY CREATE A "JUNK MAIL" ADDRESS FOR NOTIFICATION PURPOSES. LORD KNOWS, THERE ARE ENOUGH SITES OUT THERE THAT OFFER E-MAIL.
5. / AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE JUDGE [MIKE RILEY], FURTHER PRIZES MAY BE AWARDED. HOWEVER, THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS WILL TAKE PLACE.
6. / ONLY ONE ENTRY PER PERSON WILL BE ACCEPTED.
7. / ALL DECISIONS OF THE JUDGE ARE FINAL. THE "NO CRYBABY" RULE IS IN EFFECT. AFTER ALL, PEOPLE, IT'S NOT LIKE THERE'S MONEY ON THE LINE!
8. / THANK YOU FOR READING THIS FAR.
9. / GOOD LUCK TO ALL.